Thursday, June 9, 2011

Day 4 in Greece


Day 4- My day started relatively early with my Art & Cycladic Culture class. We toured around Parikia (the town we are staying in). We saw a cemetery in the middle of town which is basically just marble tomb stones in a grassy area. As we walked through town, I was amazed at the daily life that the Greek people lead. They lead very laid back, and content lives and I wish that I could stay here forever!! 
The next stop on our tour was the Church of 100 Doors. The myth behind this church is that, the 99 Doors are known of in the church, and once the 100th door is found, the Apocalypse will begin. Walking inside the church was amazing because of all of the beautiful and ornate paintings, carvings, and marble that decorate the church. One of the museums in town holds many marble statues, and ancient pottery that makes for AMAZING photographs. I am loving taking pictures of all the ancient architecture. 
I learned some interesting facts today, one being that Paros Island holds the worlds best marble. It is higher quality than that of the marble mined in Italy. The statue of David (one of the many famous statues) is carved out of marble from Paros Island. Also the forest that was once on Paros Island now holds up the sinking city of Venice, Italy. One of the main reasons the wood is used to hold up Venice is the fact that Olive wood is a very hard and resilient wood.
I had my first Greek Gyro (pronounced yi-ro) today and it was AWESOME! I can’t wait to eat one almost every day because they are soo good and so cheap! Anyways, now I’m just uploading pictures to facebook, and hanging out on the balcony in Greece. I am headed on a tour of the Island tomorrow so be ready for more pictures and a new blog! 

No comments:

Post a Comment