Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Day 8 & 9


Day 8-
Lets see, Day 8 was a pretty uneventful day, we didn’t go on any hikes or anything. The groups just had class that covered our trip for day 9, which was Mykonos and Delos. I did have some time to lay out on the beach and do some shopping :) I got an awesome new ring that was hand made in Athens. Over all, day 8 was a nice relaxing day and it was kinda nice not having to go hiking or anything like that. 
Day 9- Today was a great day! I got to travel to Mykonos and Delos. Mykonos is a very popular tourist Island, and has a lot of high end shopping and what not. So the group just stopped on Mykonos to have lunch and walk around. While walking around, I added to my scarf collection times 2 :) I can’t wait to wear my scarfs back in the States, and Im still on the hunt for one that embodies to atmosphere and colors of Greece. 
Delos was the most spectacular trip by far. It is a small island that is the Birth place of Apollo and Artemis. It is a major Holy and Sacred site, so holy in fact no one is allowed to live on the Island (except the curators) and also no one is allowed to give birth, or be buried on it. This is because they do not want anyone to be able to claim that land as their own. We climbed yet another mountain (a small one) and went off the beaten path to get to the Oracle site (where high priests used to get signs from the Gods). After spending sometime at the Oracle site, we traveled the rest of the way up the mountain, and the view was absolutely spectacular!! Also on the island, there are many intact ancient ruins, some of which still have their mosaic tile floors that are amazing.  
I actually just got home from my trip to Delos and Mykonos, so tonight I look forward to relaxing (out of the sun) because I got a little bit sunburnt today. Tomorrow the group is traveling to Antiparos and doing some sightseeing there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment